Latest Mortgage, Finance & Property News
Banish Work Blues
We all have periods when we feel less than enthusiastic about being at work. When this happens, consider the following tips for achieving greater job satisfaction:
- Develop realistic standards - strike a balance between what you ideally hope for and what you are likely to get.
- Work smarter, not harder - look for ways you can better organise your time, systems you can develop, or options for using technology to your advantage. It might take time to set up, but once you've made changes you'll find yourself working more efficiently and effectively.
- Learn to laugh - laughter is a cure for many ills and a great way to provide balance for stressful situations. A daily injection of laughter improves morale, clears the cobwebs from the brain and helps get the creative juices flowing.
- Give yourself praise and encouragement - don't wait for someone else to.
- Stop for lunch - it's tempting to wolf down a sandwich at your desk when you're busy but it's actually not a very productive use of time. Even a small break outside in the fresh air will do wonders for boosting your mood and energy levels for the afternoon ahead.
- Banish negative thoughts - focus on what is positive and rewarding about your job and relieve mental tension and gloomy thoughts by making exercise a part of your daily routine.
- Turn colleagues into friends - start a social club or lunch group.
- Do it now - when faced with a difficult task, break it up into a series of smaller, more manageable jobs.
- Give yourself a distraction - it might be saving for a holiday, training for a marathon or re-decorating your home. When you have a personal goal to work towards, your job no longer dominates your life.
- Create a list - if you are overwhelmed with endless tasks and deadlines, ticking off things from a to-do list can help you regain control and give you the satisfaction of knowing you are making tangible progress.